Berlin: The Vegan Capital
Food Trends Are Coming to Berlin / Vegan Lifestyle with Fashion and Cosmetics
The vegan lifestyle is becoming more popular every day in Berlin. As of this summer, there are 43 restaurants in the German capital that use no animal products in their cooking. That’s 31 more than five years ago. More than 340 restaurants in Berlin also feature animal-free dishes on their menus. Vegan ingredients are not only the basis of the latest food trends in the German capital, but the city’s also becoming a centre for designing and making fashion, shoes, and cosmetics without animal products.
New Food Trends: Raw Foods, Super Foods, and Clean Eating
One of the latest trends is raw food. At Rawtastic in Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin’s first raw vegan restaurant, the food is not heated above 42°C (108°F). The careful handling of the food ensures that it not only retains its nutritional value, but also gains flavour. The menu includes such things as Koodles (noodles made from carrots and zucchini) and a ‘shroom burger made from mushrooms.
Daluma in Mitte works with super foods with higher nutritional content than other foods. In addition to detoxifying power smoothies, the menu includes dishes based on lentils, pasta, rice, or quinoa. Just a few doors down at Super Foods & Organic Liquids, there are plenty more nutritious things to enjoy on the spot or to take away. Liquid Garden in Prenzlauer Berg, meanwhile, specialises in super food juices and smoothies.
Clean eating, which focuses on natural, unprocessed food, is offered at The Bowl in Friedrichshain – on a vegan basis. Whether you choose an Italian bowl with vegetable noodles and tomatoes or a Mexican bowl with avocado and corn, every dish is 100% sugar- and gluten-free.
Vegan Living in Berlin: Fashion, Make-up, and Markets
Fashionable without animal products: Umasan Healthstyle in Mitte is the world’s first label offering only organic vegan goods under fair trade conditions. Instead of leather, twin sisters Anja and Sandra Umann experiment with innovative fibres. The matching vegan shoes to an outfit can be found at avesu in Prenzlauer Berg.
Und Gretel produces high-quality make-up with natural ingredients, dazzling colours, and durability. Founders Christina Roth and Stephanie Dettmann use only natural materials, without synthetic preservatives, chemical ingredients, and, of course, no animal testing.
The latest vegan trends in food and lifestyle can be checked out every year at Berlin’s Vegan Summer Festival held on Alexanderplatz (19-21 August), at Green Market Berlin in the old Kindl Brauerei (autumn event being held 17-18 September), and the VeggieWorld trade fair (26-27 November) at Station Berlin.
Information on Vegan Berlin
1. Food and Drinks: Selection of Restaurants/Diners/Bars
- Vegan restaurant mentioned in the Guide Michelin: Lucky Leek in Prenzlauer Berg
- Vegan food at Kopps in Mitte
- Super food at Daluma and Super Foods & Organic Liquids in Mitte
- Organic liquids made from super food at Liquid Garden in Prenzlauer Berg
- Raw food at Rawtastic in Prenzlauer Berg
- Clean eating at The Bowl in Friedrichshain
- More vegan and vegetarian restaurants at visitBerlin.com
- Berlin‘s first vegan butcher and diner in Friedrichshain: L’herbivore
- Vegan diner Dandy Diner in Neukölln
- First vegan donut shop in Berlin: Brammibal’s Donuts in Neukölln
- Tapas bar Alaska in Neukölln
- Beer garden Wilder Hase im Nirgendwo in Friedrichshain
- Vegan and vegetarian döner at Vöner in Friedrichshain
- Cocktail bar Chaostheorie in Prenzlauer Berg
- Ice cream at Kontor Eismanufaktur in Mitte und Prenzlauer Berg
- Tofu manufacturer TofuTussis
- Cooking classes at Goldhahn & Sampson and Kochhaus
2. Lifestyle: Fashion, Make-up, Events and more
- Veganz, Europe’s first vegan supermarket, three shops in Friedrichshain, Kreuzberg, and Prenzlauer Berg
- Shoes at avesu in Prenzlauer Berg
- Fashion at Umasan Healthstyle in Mitte
- loveco– vegan fashion and make-up in Friedrichshain
- Und Gretel: Natural make-up
- Veganes Sommerfest at Alexanderplatz, 19-21 August 2016, with more than 50,000 visitors
- Lifestyle market Green Market Berlin at old Kindl Brauerei, autumn edition on 17 und 18 September, winter edition on 17 und 18 December
- Europe’s largest vegan fair VeggieWorld on 26 und 27 November at Station Berlin
- Tour with Vegan Tours Berlin
- Vegan tattoos at Little Bird Tattoo in Rummelsburg
- Vegan sex shop Other Nature in Kreuzberg
3. Apps and Websites, making a vegan lifestyle easier